The broad objective of the department is to expose the students to the principles and application of economic analyses in resolving the economic problems that tend to reduce the optimal use of environmental resources. The specific objectives include:
- equip and expose the students of the department at various levels of the programme in economics and other cognate disciplines to economic forces, theirs variables and their interrelationships in the operation of the economy;
- acquire reasonable knowledge of the main areas of theoretical and applied economics;
- develop the students’ sense of judgment, and ability to analyze general economic policies, business decision processes, economic management strategies and related environmental problems with the purpose of providing solutions to these problems;
- acquire competence to work in many areas of public and private sectors e.g. industrial, commercial, research, planning and consultancy establishments;
- create appropriate environment for the students’ intellectual and creative development in economic policy issues and related activities; and
- use the highly analytical and quantitative tools of the programme to enhance the attainment of professional qualifications in the relevant fields as well as prepare students for postgraduate programmes in economics.